To say that my 4 year-old son is a picky eater is a bit of an understatement. Just when I’m sure I’ve got his likes and dislikes figured out, he changes them. Last week, he loved baked salmon. This week I get, “Mommy, you know I don’t eat salmon.” Nope, news to me. I will never, never be a parent who short-order cooks to their children’s whims for food. I always encourage tasting and trying new things. And, so often it takes presenting and trying the same food several times before he comes around to it. But, I do enjoy making the occasional kid-friendly treat that isn’t a fight at all to get him to eat. These little chicky nuggets are choice #1.
I can’t say enough good things about this simple little recipe. They truly are so much like having the real thing right in your own kitchen.
It’s not necessary to cook these in a deep fryer, but after trying them in a pan on the stovetop and in the deep fryer I’ve got to go with the deep fryer every time. I know it sounds strange, but because of the constant temperature they cook so much faster and more evenly. They are less greasy, too.
– INGREDIENTS –
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cups flour
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
peanut or canola oil (for frying)
– PREPARATION –
1. Whisk together the egg and milk in a bowl. Cut up and trim any fat from the chicken. Place chicken in milk mixture and cover. Let it marinate for 2 hours in the fridge.
2. In a gallon size resealable bag, combine the flour, sugar, salt and pepper. Seal the bag and give it a few shakes to combine.
3. Prepare a deep fryer with oil and heat to 375 degrees. If you are using a pan, fill with 2 inches of oil and heat on medium-high until it sizzles when a drop of water is dropped in.
4. Use tongs to drop 6-8 nuggets into the oil and cook until golden brown, turning halfway through, about 1 1/2 minutes each side. Cook for 4 minutes in a deep fryer. Always check to make sure that your chicken is cook through and is not pink by making a small cut in the meal.
5. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Repeat until all nuggets are cooked.
For a delicious dipping sauce, combine equal parts yellow mustard and honey. Drop in a few drops of hot sauce for an extra kick.