Until recently, we’ve been really spoiled in the mornings and could generally take our time getting where we needed to be. A few months ago, my son started school and everything changed. Now we have the full experience of dragging children out of bed and making every attempt to get them dressed presentably, fed and out the door in good time for school.
The feeding part can be a bit of a challenge, but I’m pretty stubborn in that I refuse to give my children any of the processed “quick breakfast” junky junk that’s out there en mass. But, there are ways to get quick without getting junk. This is one of them.
With no preservatives needed, you can make your very own breakfast burritos that heat up in a minute in a half from frozen to steamy and hot. Any given morning I can find a minute and a half to spare for a hot, portable breakfast.
I make these 12 at a time. You start with a dozen eggs, or one egg per burrito.
Crack them all in a bowl, add about 1/2 cup milk, salt and pepper. Put them into a pan over medium-high heat and begin to gently scrape around the bottom to bring up the cooked egg.
Keep going until you have fluffy, fully-cooked scrambled eggs.
Shred 8 oz. of extra sharp white cheddar. And get your hot sauce handy.
Warm 12 tortillas slightly. I put them in the microwave on high for about 30 seconds. Heating them a little keeps them from cracking when you fold the burritos.
Cook 12 pieces of bacon. My favorite is uncured peppered turkey bacon, available at Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s.
Heat your oven to 425 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper and lay the bacon out. Cook for 12 minutes.
Once everything is cooked, you start the assembly process.
Lay out a piece of plastic wrap, lay out your tortilla. Down the center, layer a few scoops of eggs, a generous sprinkle of cheese, a few dashes of hot sauce and a piece of bacon (torn in two pieces if needed).
Then, fold in each side. Fold the top down and roll up tightly.
Enclose the burrito in plastic wrap and put them in a ziploc bag in your freezer.
Frozen Breakfast Burritos (adapted from here)
– INGREDIENTS –
12 flour or wheat tortillas
1 dozen eggs
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper
1 T butter
8 oz. extra sharp white cheddar
12 slices peppered turkey bacon, cooked
hot sauce (we like Frank’s)
– PREPARATION –
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and lay out bacon. Cook for 12 minutes.
2. Scramble a dozen eggs. Crack them into a bowl, add 1/2 cup milk and salt and pepper to taste. Pop all the yolks with your fork and scramble them up.
3. Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Melt 1 T butter until bubbling. Pour in eggs. Stir continuously, scraping the bottom of the pan, until fully cooked.
4. Grate cheese and set aside.
5. Heat the tortillas slightly in the microwave for 30 seconds.
5. Layer all the ingredients on the tortilla. Fold the burritos and wrap in plastic wrap. Store in the freezer.
To reheat: Remove plastic wrap, wrap in a paper towel and place in the microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes.